On August 7, 1913, at 8:00 p.m., Patrolman Daniel J. Lane was walking his beat when he observed that a street lamp located at the corner of Cooke and Grove Streets was not functioning. Patrolman Lane walked to a call box and notified the Desk Sergeant of the broken lamp.
By 10:33 p.m., no one from Connecticut Light and Power arrived to repair the lamp so Patrolman Lane climbed the lamppost and attempted to repair the light himself. The lamppost collapsed and the 2200-volt wire that ran inside the lamppost electrocuted Patrolman Lane. Patrolman Lane also received a fractured skull from the lamp post falling on top of him.
Patrolman Danield Lane was 34 years when he died.